Sunday, April 10, 2011

Attacking Super 8 ...

When I first saw the teaser trailer for Super 8 (one of the big summer films of 2011), I was admittedly excited. J.J. Abrams as director. Steven Spielberg as producer. It looked like creepy goodness. But then it turned into "the more I see, the less I like". Enter the FULL trailer.


Vomit. And each time I watch it, I become more and more skeptical. You gotta love mini-Dakota Fanning (Elle Fanning) in this, and Spielberg lets you down even less than I do. But ... It looks like way too much of that "kids smarter than the grownups" faire, which wouldn't be so bad if Super 8 didn't appear to take itself way too seriously. I'm guessing it was pitched as "Cloverfield meets Goonies", minus the campy or 80's fun polish.


However, all is not lost. Behold - Attack The Block, a similar themed London based film about kids (teens) going toe-to-toe with alien invaders. It stars Nick Frost, whom you probably know from Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, etc., which gives it tons of points already, and it just looks SO much better than Super 8.

Here's the trailer.


Which do YOU think looks better?

Hell, I'll prob see both, but I already know which I have more faith in right now ...

No comments:

Post a Comment