Wednesday, January 26, 2011

SKIN-teresting? ...


Have u watched MTV's Skins yet? Have u?? (Mondays, 10pm) Well, if u haven't, I strongly suggest that u make some time to check it out!

I initially described it as "Ferris Bueller's Day Off ... if Ferris was an asshole who used the F' word a lot" ... and I stand by that. I also liken it to - Kids - the 1995 movie with Rosario Dawson. But after watching the 2nd episode ... I'm still a little perplexed by the show ... but in a GOOD way!

I honestly can't say (or don't know if) I LIKE the show! And I mean that by it's content, its stories, and its characters - none of which are particularly "likeable". I appreciate the teen drama as much as the next guy, but is MTV just stunting for the sake of showing off? "Let's see how far we can push the envelope till it tears, and even when it does - so what? We made our point."? ... Is MTV beyond that mentality? Nope. I don't think so. But there is no denying that the gratuitous sex, drug use, and general disaffected disposition of pretty much all the teens is enticing to watch. The extended music montages, trippy cut scenes, and occasional SUPER extended dialogues might just be "style"... or "lack of"! It consistently floats back and forth between the two.


I don't know where the show is going ... but maybe that's the point. I'm fairly certain that it will result in the eventual death of one of the primary characters ... my guess would be Cadie - the EXTREME drug addict of the show. (keeping in mind that this show was adapted from a UK show, so those that have seen Skins in its original inception probably already know the outcome ... unless MTV decides to go off in its own direction with it)

There's been a lot of controversy about the influential and potentially harmful depiction of the teens on this show, as u can already figure there would be. People stupider than me who get all up in arms and frantic worrying about what this one tv program will do to the minds of their precious 14 and 15 year olds. (it seems that words like "bitch", "ass", "dick" and "shit" no longer need to be bleeped out (thank goodness) ... although, fyi - "fuck" still does need to be bleeped, apparently)  ... But isn't this just what real kids are really like in real life anyway? I certainly HOPE so ... er ... uhm, I mean - I imagine so :) ... but just a very sensationalized and extreme version of it. And, uhm ... isn't that pretty much like every other show on TV?


Whatever. Anyway ...

"Brilliant Car-wreck"? I don't know yet, but when I turn it on, I can't look away. It definitely makes me think - "hmmm ...", so that's at least SOMETHING for me in today's television environment. And I will definitely be tuning in next week to see what happens (if anything) next.

No comments:

Post a Comment